1) Proteins ( 22 amino acids) are necessary to produce neurotransmitters which communicate positive feelings throughout the CNS (Central Nervous System). The rate of depression in the world correspond to the amount of fish eaten and this is due to the Omega-3 contained in fish which is responsible for healthy brain function.
2) Omega-3 Fats which is found in fish and flaxseed is needed by the brain (which is 60% fat) and raises dopamine and is also an MAO inhibitor (slows down MAO enzymes which destroy neurotransmitters). Neurotransmitters are mood boosters in our CNS.
3) SAT Fats (butter, coconut milk, olive oil, nuts) are also known as Satisfying Fats. Olive oil contains Omega-9 which is a good mood fat. Butter contains butyrate (a fatty acid) which helps to make GABA ( a natural relaxant).
4) Vegetables contain magnesium (relaxing mineral) and potassium (promotes vitality). Vegies also contain Vitamins B & K which preserves Omega-3's.
5) Good Mood Carbs: bananas contain potassium, serotonin, and melatonin, all three essential for good brain health. Fructose from fruit is a carb but doesn't cause the blood sugar and mood to swing like grains (gluten) and white starches do. Fruit is also rich in B6 which is needed by the brain to produce serotonin.